See video interviews of Eric talking about the recording of this album and about Edgar A Poe.
Abbey Road Studio Showcase, November 2003, London. An elaborate concert version of the POE musical was staged at Abbey Road Studios in November 2003. There was an exceptionally talented cast including Steve Balsamo, Anna-Jane Casey, Juliet Caton, David Burt and James Gillan.
- It took over 6 years to make the album
- It was all recorded at the legendary Abbey Road studios, mainly in Studio 2 where the Beatles recorded all their albums and where many Alan Parsons Project albums were made
- It cost 1 million EUROS to make
- The top session musicians used included John Parricelli (played THE mandolin in Capatain Correlli’s Mandolin), Laurence Cottle (played with Sting, Cher and Seal), Simon Chamberlain (played with Bjork, Pet Shop Boys, Paul McCartney) and Ralph Salmins (played with Madonna, Van Morrison, Mike Oldfield)
- A forty piece orchestra and 80 strong choir were used in the recordingsThe songs include three Poe stories and an actual poem of Poe’s put to music. The rest of the tracks are reflections of Poe’s life which was as extraordinary as his work.
- Five of the tracks are sung by Steve Balsamo who shot to fame after Andrew Lloyd Webber chose him to star in the recent West End production of Jesus Christ Superstar. Lloyd Webber described him as the ‘most exciting new talent it was ever (his) privilege to have discovered’